So much to do and so little time to do it all! It is no wonder we feel drained, unproductive and overwhelmed at work. Follow these 10 tips to make a difference in your efficiency and effectiveness at work.
- Choose a planner that works for you. It can be as simple as a spiral notebook or a Google calendar. Having one place to consolidate dates makes it easy to keep up with activities, projects and tasks.
- Use lists. Consolidate your list in one spot. Making the list is the first step, prioritizing your activities is the next step.
- Set your day’s priorities the night before. When you come in to work and you know your focus, you get started right away.
- Choose 3 Most Important Tasks and get these done early in the day. Every day is filled with distractions and interruptions. Getting the most important tasks done early helps you feel productive!
- Establish times to work hard. Have a power period in the morning and the afternoon. These are times where you just work on one project. Turn off all distractions, including your cell phone, email, and post a note on the door for your colleagues, to keep this time sacred.
- Keep your action items in a desktop sorter in files. Finding papers you need to work on saves time and energy.
- Delegate lower level tasks to an assistant. Know what is worth your time and what is less important. Set up a process for your assistant to check back in with a time line and specific deliverables.
- Take a break during the day to eat, walk a little and get refreshed. You will work better with brain food. You may think you have too much to do, but a break will help you be more efficient.
- Set specific times for email. Do an email triage, with a quick scan and filing, and then consolidate projects and tasks on your list to work on during your power period.
- Set a time to end your day. It’s important to get out of your office and connect with others too.
What are your tips for time management at work?