May is the month of celebrations, including graduations from kindergarten to college and beyond, weddings, and baby showers. Your family may be preparing for a family reunion celebration. Celebrations are the way we come together as a family, support each other and recognize achievement. Often we have different responsibilities to help organize the celebration. We can all have a different role in organizing life’s celebrations.
If you are hosting the celebration
- Set a date early and send out a notice by email to those included. There are fabulous online resources such as paperless post and evite to include everyone.
- Make a list of tasks for celebration, including budget, location, food, decorations, take-aways and invitations. Check out 3 resources for each idea, makes notes in Evernote or a notebook, and make a decision so you are ready to go.
- Invite others in your family to be a part of the preparations. Share the responsibility and share the fun. Check in with them on their part through email, phone or text to be sure things are going smoothly.
- Remember to keep it simple sweetie! The bigger the plans, the bigger the stress and the bigger the budget. Simple plans create memorable occasions.
If you are attending the celebration
- Check the date and block out the time as soon as the invitation arrives.
- RSVP as soon as possible. In our days RSVPs are rare so help the host with this small step.
- Make travel plans and arrange accommodations if needed.
- Ask the host how you can help. You can tie ribbons, put up decorations or even bring coffee!
- Ask about whether and what gift is appropriate. Often a small token or lovely card is what is most important.
Our family has been blessed to celebrate with nieces, nephews and other family over the past several years. Our family has attended our kids weddings at a distance. It is truly a blessing to gather and celebrate. With a plan everything comes together!
What ways has your family celebrated together? What will you be celebrating this summer?
Don’t miss a minute of organizing! Join my newsletter!
Come back next week when I share ideas on organizing your family photos after your celebration!