Paper is an overwhelming source of frustration and emotion! There are so many levels of this that I see with my clients.
- Being overwhelmed with the tsunami of paper. You don’t know what to keep and how long to keep it. You need a list as a resource. http://www.oprah.com/home/The-ABCs-of-Important-Papers. This online resource will get you started, but every one has a little different “tweak.” Be sure to consult your accountant for your special needs.
- You love articles and information. Having a paper copy reminds you to read the information. However you are getting overwhelmed with information now. Begin an awareness of how to gather information in other ways, from people, the internet searchs, blogs and other mediums. Remember that even information “gets old” in our era.
- Needing a system to deal with paper. You know what to keep, but you have no categories to work with paper. You need a command center system to deal with your papers, and a routine to follow up. http://www.professional-organizer.com/tips_family_communication_center.html. This online resource will help you move from overwhelmed to in control.
- Emotional flood when seeing papers. You experience guilt or shame when reviewing your papers. Your papers remind of you of people you did not call, tasks you did not follow through with, or general remorse about how to deal with paper. Papers are more than just paper. Working together with a professional organizer/productivity consultant and therapist can help you move forward with your paper challenges.
- Paper systems need to be perfect. Being a perfectionism keeps you from getting started in dealing with your paper. There must be a perfect system and you strive to create it. Working with a professional organizer/productivity consultant can help you create your personal system and routines.
It can be more than just bits and scraps to you. Identifying where youare paralyzed can be powerful. Partnering with a professional organizer/productivity consultant will get you unstuck.
What awareness comes to mind for you with paper?