Organizing is certainly not about the baskets, bins and boxes. Having the perfect bins does not make for a perfectly organized home. Baskets, bins and boxes can help you categorize, store and contain though. Many times there are already containers that you have in your home that you can reuse and recycle to get organized. Already handy and products you love, baskets, bins and boxes can be used many different ways to organize your home.
- Baskets are attractive storage inside a closet, on a shelf or on the floor.
- Best for toys, crafts, scarves, or shoes at the back door.
- Open baskets make it easy to drop items in.
Bins, especially clear bins
- Bins are durable, water proof storage and can be used inside or out.
- Best for pantries, garages, or bathrooms.
- Plastic bins should not be too big for you to move when filled.
- Shoe boxes are inexpensive organizers. These are uniform and have lids for easy stacking.
- Best for over flow office and school supplies, extra travel size toiletries, or kids’ keepsakes under a bed.
- Boxes can get out of control easily. Set a number to keep and recycle the rest.
- Gather all your options together. See how many of the same types of containers you have. Use similar size, shape or color containers in the same spot to organize. Consistent containers make for a more organized appeal of that space.
- Use attractive containers throughout your home or office. Use clear containers behind doors, inside cabinets, or under sinks.
- Always use one container for one category you are organizing. Single category organizing makes it easier to maintain.
- Label your containers. Even if you can see in the container, a label makes it clear what it contains. Key tags tied with string, chalk board labels and binder clips
Tempted by a new basket, bin or box? Keep a small area where these can be stored for you to easily find and use what you have first. Yes, you can have too many organizing products. Be sure to keep just what you love and use. You can donate your unloved products because someone out there will love those!
Upcycling and recycling are everywhere! Check out my pinterest board on Sentimental Clutter.
Want more ideas to keep you organized and productive? Join my newsletter!