With the newest technologies of Kindle and Nook, book lovers still love their libraries! Books are a tangible way to share knowledge, take to you foreign lands, and a reminder of those in our family who prized knowledge, loved to read and loved books. To some of us, a personal library is a great reflection of our inner selves.
- All the books in your home comprise your family library. Refering to these as your library brings a new perspective to your books and how you care for them.
- Keep only the books you truly love. Review your stacks annually. If your collection is always growing, you should also be eliminating too.
- Remember to honor your books by placing these on a book shelf. If your books are used as decor, books may be stacked horizontally. Books are not best kept in a drawer or cardboard box. Not enough book space? Add more book cases in a hall way or a guest room.
- Group your books by their use. Some of for a specific reference, some of just for fun, some are collections, some are read by the bed. You decide what your categories are, by both function and value. Some of my clients have organized by these groups or by alphabetical order.
- Books need care too! Remember to dust frequently and keep them out of damp climates.
- Cookbooks have special meaning to many of us. Cull through and keep what you love. Keep them in an easy to access spot in the kitchen.
- Group your books that are “to be read” in a special spot, so you have access to these when you are ready to start a new one. Keep a “wish list” for upcoming reads in with your other lists, either electronically or in your command center.
- Do you share books in your library? Always make a note in your task list of who you are lending to and the date it was loaned. You will be able to retrieve your book easily.
Books will always be a special part of who you are and what defines you. Honor them just as any keepsake.