Strategic productivity is “doing what you do best and delegate the rest.” There are so many reasons why people don’t delegate!
The list includes:
1. Control freaks
2. Don’t want people to see their faults
3. Not organized enough to take the time to figure out what needs to be done until right on top of the deadline.
4. Cost Money
5. They don’t have the right partnership in place so they just do it themselves
6. Takes Time… too difficult to explain
7. Had a bad experience so figure it will never work
8. Too far behind.. if I get caught up then I will teach person X
9. Don’t empower people enough once they delegate the task… see number 1-which causes conflict
10. Have difficulty communicating with others
Once you successfully delegate you will not want to do the task again. You will be empowered by the team work you are a part of, you will be more successful at what you do, and your income will increase most importantly!
How do you get started delegating?
- Delegate whole pieces or entire job pieces or simply tasks and activities.
- Define limits of authority
- Spending limits
- Level of decision making for “major” aspects
- Clearly define what outcome is needed, then let individuals use some creative thinking of their own as to how to get to that outcome.
- Clear standards of performance will help the person know when he or she is doing exactly what is expected.
- Determine communication model and tools
- Spreadsheet for tasks, google calendar
- Weekly and daily updates to tasks
- Weekly and daily meetings
Successful delegating requires a change of your mindset. Begin by building delegating into all of your plans. Start breaking down administrative, marketing and other tasks into lists and specifically identify whether you or an assistant will handle a particular matter.