Remember when summer vacation meant long breaks with little to do. It was a simpler time with no email and less paperwork. At work and at home, we feel overwhelmed by all there is to do. It’s hard to prioritize a real vacation and even harder to make that happen. More than just getting organized to take your trip, here’s now to take a real vacation.
Why make sure you take your vacation
Knowing why to take your vacation is the push to do so because it has the most compelling reasons. There’s the benefit of creativity. (Did you know Hamilton was written during a vacation?) Daily stress can take a physical toll and vacations give us the time to relax our body and our brains. Taking a vacation is a complete reset.
How to time off from digital distractions
We all fear that avalanche of email when we return to work. It’s what stalls our best attempts at relaxing. However, you can set boundaries with this. Checking email once a day, using your out of office response and coming back a day early to work on email are all ways to combat the need to check in.
- Check email each evening to prevent hourly email check ins. You can add a line to your signature line or your out of office response to alert who to contact and response times.
- To get the full benefit of time away, think about returning earlier. This can be earlier in the day or a day early. Knowing you are setting aside time to get back into the groove can make a big difference during your vacation.
- Take your time on social media seriously. If you are checking in mindlessly, it’s time to put down your device and get back to enjoying your vacation and the people you are with. We tend to gravitate to social media when there is a lull in action. Spring back into vacation instead.
Add in your tech tools for fun
There’s a few tools to use that make vacationing more fun! There’s online tools you will love.
- Device chargers to keep you up and running.
- Great headphones to listen to your music or a movie.
- Portable speaker to play your music
- Apps for meditation, relaxation or promote sleeping
- Apps for sightseeing
Be sure you don’t stray into dangerous email territory while having fun.
Get your planner out today to set a date for your vacation and take a real vacation this year.