Overwhelmed by paper and just want to make it vanish? Paper processing is a way to be sure you are getting rid of as much extra paper as you can. Check out these ideas!
Gather paper together mail, your kids’ backpacks, and other areas.
- Set up a command center with slots for action, pay, file and receipts.
- Set up baskets for your kids’ school papers to keep for a month
- Process incoming papers 5 minutes each day
- Create a weekly administrative time for one hour to process everything in your command center and file.
- Once a month review your kids papers. Keep only what is precious.
- Keep precious papers and art in a box in your kids’ closets, photo it for a photo book, or use a large portfolio to store it.
Annual paper review
- Each February as you prepare for taxes, gather papers for tax prep, archive financials, and shred papers.
- Group papers by year that may be of more importance, such as medical explanation of benefits, credit card statements or kids school documents.
- Use PaperKarma to eliminate paper
- Use Catalogchoice.com to eliminate junk mail and magazines.
- Choose a scanner to move from paper to digital.
- Include a To Be Scanned section in your command center.
References for what to keep
- Oprah.com ABCs of Important Papers
- Real Simple 5 Steps for Simpler Record Keeping
- Ellen’s Blog Important Papers
More ideas for getting rid of paper in my monthly newsletter. Join here!