Summer is just around the corner! For our family that means time by the pool, time to relax and time for family fun! The key to summer is knowing what works for your family.
1. Keep a routine that works. Everyone still needs a good night’s rest and great yummy healthy food! Delicious summer treats include berries and berry smoothies, low fat high protein hot dogs or burgers on the grill, and ice cold watermelon. Keep bedtime routines consistent with a little later time, but still with a routine.
2. Family fun includes fun place to go!
Houston Children’s Museum www.cmhouston.org
Houston Zoo www.houstonzoo.org
Berry picking www.pickyourown.org
Nature Discovery Center www.naturediscoverycenter.org
Lunar and Planetary Institute http://www.lpi.usra.edu/
3. Let’s continue learning this summer too! Visit the public library once a week, learn a new educational computer game, play chess, RISK or monopoly board games, plant a garden, or take care of a pet. There are so many experiences to explore. And don’t forget to include writing and math too in what you do, from baking a cake to journaling about summer travel.
4. Swimming and summer are a natural! But also add in hiking, biking, walking, jogging, skating and other outdoor activities. Take advantage of cooler morning and evening temps for outside fun.
5. Summer is the time for creativity. Encourage your young artist with sidewalk chalk, water color paints, paper mache, crafty creations, and other artistic mediums. The wonderful aspect of creativity is that there is no “wrong” way to express yourself.
6. Include more down time in your week. The summer is the best time to kick back and relax. Take a break from the harried and hurried school routines by having more time for talking and just being around the house. Have summer be the time for family and friend connections.
What are your summer success stories?