Getting your decorating done for the holidays can be overwhelming! Over the years you have accumulated so many darling decorations, there is so much to sort through, there are so many places in your home to decorate, and there is only so much time. These 5 tips can help you get started and get finished with getting your decorating done.
1. Walk through your home and visualize the decorations in place. What special decorations always sit in one area? What areas are focal points in your home for your family and your holiday guests? What decorations are important to your kids? Start with a visual reminder of what is most important to you. Write down notes or draw pictures to help you as you work.
2. Review your calendar and see what time you have and when you want to be complete. If you have 2 weeks until a major event at your home, this accountability will help you. If not, set a date for completion for yourself.
3. Enlist the elves! Ask your family for help of even the smallest kind. Can your kids or husband set up the tree? Can they take down boxes and take our ornaments carefully? Can you pay your cleaning lady to come an extra day to assist? Put on the holiday music and get moving.
4. Choose a strategy to get the job done. It can be decorate room by room, decorate your door frames and table tops, or whatever strategy appeals to you. It will prevent you from roaming from space to space and help you get areas complete.
5. Know the emotion of “enough”. This season of abundance often means you never feel that you are done decorating. Perfectionism may creep in and decorating goes on, and on, and on. Knwoing what “enough” feels like makes a difference in moving forward to the next step of your holiday preparations.
What are your tips for decorating this holiday season?