Without a doubt, technology has changed our home, work and life. The smart tools in our home include security, light bulbs, coffee makers and fans. In the last year, even more so has life changed with the popularity of Amazon Echo (Alexa) and Google Home. It’s easy to automate and delegate some of the little things that can make life and work even easier. Here’s a list of the tools and tasks that can delight you as automated toolsfor home, work and life.
Tools to use
Both the Amazon Echo and Google Home are easy to use and cost about the same amount depending on which product you purchase. Here’s the differences that you should look for. Amazon Echo has more commands (Skills) while Google Home can best answer diverse questions. Amazon Echo has more smart home commands to control such as smart light bulbs or security.
Commands to use
These devices can play music, tell you the time, give you this week’s weather and give you the traffice report. There’s more though! Keep up your productivity with these commands.
- OK, Google, tell me about my day”
- OK, Google, good morning.” (This includes a personalized greeting, info on weather, traffic, reminders, calendar entries, flight status and curated news stories.)
- OK, Google, add my 9 am appointment to my calendar.
- Ok, Google, remind me to purchase my airline tickets.
- Alexa, create a to-do list
- Alexa, I need to make a doctor appointment
- Alexa, buy bathroom tissue
- Alexa, reorder pens
- Alexa, track my order
Reminders and timers
- Alexa, set a repeating alarm for weekdays at 7 a.m.
- Set a timer: “Alexa, timer” or “Alexa, set a timer for 15 minutes.”
- Create a named timer: “Alexa, set a pizza timer for 20 minutes.”
- Set multiple timers: “Alexa, set a second timer for 5 minute
- Alexa, ask Random Workout to pick a workout.
- Alexa, ask Random Workout to pick an exercise.
- Alexa open Sleep Sounds.
- Alexa ask Sleep Sounds to play Thunderstorm.
What’s my most surprising task for Alexa? It’s remember things! We all want a fail safe spot to remember stuff. Alexa can do that too!
You don’t have to be a big techie to enjoy the advantages of this small addition to your tech collection. Adding these small devices can make a big difference for you as we add automated tools for home, work and life to our everyday spaces.