There’s a space in all homes where it becomes the drop zone. It’s where all the items that have no home go, just so these are not in your living room or bedroom. This space has potential for many different uses and it’s up to us to create a functional areas here. This is a Hugs and Happy Organizing story about a space designated for a study.
This client’s space had become a drop zone, that being unused space for for quite a while. It’s been where papers and photos that had no home go, just to sit. Piles were piling up, books were sitting on the floor, and crafts were sitting unsused. In just 3 hours, we were able to reclaim the space for a study for her husband. Here’s what we did.
- First, the client decided exactly what this space is to be used for, that being a study. It’s where her husband will work on accelerated virtual learning. That let us know what would be needed in this space to accomplish this task.
- Starting with the floor, we went through the piles. The piles were an assortment of different papers.
- Some of the piles were her kiddo’s art work from school from the last few years. We decided what to keep, what to photograph and what to let go. This precious artwork will be stored in a portfolio in her daughter’s room.
- There was an accumulation of mail that needed to be shredded.
- Books were replaced on an amazing lawyer’s bookshelf.
- We edited, shredded, and sent items on their way.
- We consolidated office supplies into drawers for easy access.
The result is an amazing space that is ready for study! It all came down to getting started, working efficiently and knowing what the end results should be for the desired use.
If you have a space that has gotten away from you, it’s collecting paper instead of being used, now is the time to get started.
More Hugs and Happy Organizing stories here!