I am often asked for “my” organizing ideas, including tips, tricks and tools. Here are the top 12 for me!
1. Always shop with a list.
2. Know where an item will be located in your home, before you purchase it.
3. Set up specific spots for specific items, such as only clothes in your master closet or only paper in your office.
4. Commit to tasks and responsibilities only after checking your calendar.
5. Anything that is really going to happen, has to be listed on a date on your calendar.
6. Go through your paper for 5 minutes every day. Spend one hour once a week paying bills and working on admin tasks.
7. Know what papers to keep, and how long to keep them. Ask your accountant or lawyer for your personal dates and details.
8. Always keep a list of tasks, not matter how small the task or how short the list.
9. Use versatile organizing products in many different places, such as the back of the door shoe holder used in the craft room for crafts, toy room for matchbox cars, or back door for bug spray.
10. Find organizing products that you love, that match the decor of the space they will be used, and that have ways to separate and categorize your items.
11. Any big project is best done in baby steps, one hour at a time.
12. Keep it simple sweetie! The simpler, the better!