Holidays come around each year and each year we are looking forward to the real joy of the holiday. How do we professional organizers and productivity consultants make the holiday merry and bright? Here’s tried and true tips we use!
- Organize as you decorate and undecorate. Donate unused decorations right after the holiday. This way you are not storing decorations another year and you are keeping only what is most important and treasured. Use an ornament organizer and mark your bins with specific contents to make decorating easier and more fun next year.
- Start early if you decide to send holiday cards. Have your family photo ready by October. As you receive cards, update your holiday card list. If you decide to keep your cards for the next year, here’s a way to keep them year after year.
- As you are going through the holiday season, make a note in your smart phone about what worked best in terms of holiday hacks. These are inside secrets you learned as the season progressed. Here’s an example. Our Houston Zoo Lights are fabulous and you need to purchase tickets that morning in case of weather glitches and to be sure tickets are available that day.
- With new and traditional recipes, make a note on the recipe what small changes you made. Each year I make cream puffs and I have notes on what worked best with oven temperature and ingredients.
- Keep your Christmas receipts together in a ziplock and ask for extra receipts for returns. You will eliminate hassle with returns.
- Check in with your family on what family traditions to keep and what has gone by the wayside. Spending an evening relaxing at home and getting in bed early helps everyone enjoy the season.
Wishing you a very merry holiday season!