Sad to see summer go? Tired of the heat? Happy for the change of seasons? Looking forward to that first fall day? It’s that transition time, mostly known as Indian Summer, where we welcome fall. Take advantage of this transition time by organizing at your home and office. It’s time for fall organizing!
- It’s time to start and end activities. Put away your summer swim bag, the sunscreen and goggles. Create a bag or notebook for kids’ school papers or new responsibilities like homeroom mom. Right away you will have a spot for all those papers.
- Freshen up your clothes. Look through your closet and let go of clothes you did not wear this season. Put them in a shopping bag and immediately drop these off at a donation location. Do the same for your kids clothes and get their drawers in great shape for school time. Everyone will be happier and less stressed getting ready in the morning.
- Host your family meeting and go over family responsibilities at home. Perhaps chores got lax this summer or everyone wants to shift chores. Take 15 minutes to write out your chore chart and place it where everyone sees it each day. Include homework time in your chore chart daily. Plan some end of summer fun and check in about upcoming Halloween plans for your family.
- Set aside an hour to freshen up your office. It takes just a few focused minutes to eliminate all the extra paper and other stuff that has accumulated this summer. It could be shoes to take home, resources you no longer need or books to return to colleagues. Taking just an hour to refresh your space helps you be more efficient and effective at your desk.
- Think through your daily routines at home and work. Start a new strategy for handling the biggest time takers, such as email and paper management. Decide on a pattern for when and how long you will get these tasks done daily. Getting a fresh perspective and a great routine helps you get these tasks done more easily.
The change of seasons helps us take advantage of refreshing our spaces. It energizes our organizing!
Get a daily dose of organizing and productivity on my Facebook page
Join my newsletter to keep posted on monthly organizing and productivity tips.